Child Passenger Safety
Child Passenger Safety Week - September 13-19, 2015
National Seat Check Saturday - September 19, 2015
In Louisiana, we are fortunate to have numerous technicians to assist with passenger safety education, installation, and concerns. The state is divided into different areas, each with a designated regional coordinator. The regional coordinator can assist you with your concerns. You are also welcome to visit any of the fitting stations listed to obtain proper instruction on your child's car seat installation. All links are provided below for your assistance.
CPS Instructor Team
Louisiana Passenger Safety Task Force Grant Funded Fitting Stations
Child Safety Seat Recommendations
Child Safety Seat Recommendations in Spanish
Child Passenger Safety
Child Safety In and Around Vehicles
A Parent's Guide to Playing it Safe with Kids and Cars
Resources for Parents
Car Seat Safety for Kids
Child Passenger Safety Resources for Parents
Safe for Life
Car Seat Recalls
Resources for Technicians
National Child Passenger Safety Certification
National Child Passenger Safety Board
Child Passenger Safety Resources for Educators and CPS Technicians
2014 Child Passenger Safety Observational Survey
2013 Child Passenger Safety Observational Survey
2011 Child Passenger Safety Observational Survey
Child Safety Device Use of Fatally Injured Children
Child Passenger Safety Task Force
The Louisiana Passenger Safety Task Force is focused on raising awareness about occupant protection and provides widespread community education and coordinated child safety seat checks throughout Louisiana. To reach the objectives, LPSTF sought to reduce motor vehicle-related fatal and injury crashes to children through the following activities.
- Coordinate and support educational efforts by CPS advisory group members during National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) campaigns (such as Buckle Up America or National CPS Week).
- Provide five-day standardized child passenger safety (CPS) instructor/ technician classes in geographically appropriate areas for statewide impact. Areas will be selected based on lack of trained
individuals in a particular area and accessibility for training facilities.
- Maintain a CPS advisory group to help provide a statewide comprehensive network of certified CPS technicians and instructors. The group would meet quarterly and be responsible for gathering and
maintaining a database of all Louisiana CPS technicians.
- Create and maintain standardized, minimum requirements for CPS instruction provided during state generated CPS courses and the four-day NHTSA courses.
- Conduct checkup events throughout the state.
- Provide one-day instructional courses to recruit technicians, educate community groups, and promote occupant protection.
Child Occupant Seatbelt (R.S. 32:295)
- Children under the age of 6 years or less than 60 lbs. must be in a child restraint system or booster seat that
is age and size appropriate, in accordance with manufacturers recommendations. Children 6 to 12 years of age must
be restrained by a lap belt, shoulder harness, or an age / size appropriate child safety or booster seat.
Child Restraint Affidavit (RS 32:414T) The department shall send written notification to the driver to inform them of a 30 day allowance for the driver to show an affidavit for proof that an appropriate child safety seat has been obtained. Following the 30 day period, if no affidavit has been provided, the Department shall suspend the license of any person upon notification of the first or second conviction, until such time as he provides the department with a notarized affidavit stating he has acquired an approved age- or size-appropriate child restraint system where applicable and has complied with all other requirements of reinstatement as provided by law and department regulation.
Child Safety Seat Affidavit
In accordance with RS 32:414T, the department shall suspend the license of any person upon notification of the first or second conviction under R.S.32:295, until such time as he provides the department with a notarized affidavit stating he has acquired an approved age- or size-appropriate child restraint system.
Click here for copy of Affidavit