Upcoming 2014-15 Enforcement Waves: December 18, 2014 – January 3, 2015, February 6 -17, 2015, Weekends in April 2015, July 2-6, 2015, August 21-September 7, 2015
2014 DWI Law Enforcement Awards Program
Upcoming 2013 Enforcement Waves: February 1-12, Weekends in April, July 4-8 , August 16-September 2
Resources to assist in the planning and implementation of "No Refusal Weekends"
NHTSA "No Refusal" Tool Kit
Blood Draws and the Law Enforcement Phlebotomy Program
No Refusal Implementation Information
Jefferson Affidavit, warrant, officer protocol, and updated return documents
Other Impaired Driving Resources
2013 Drive Sober Campaign
NHTSA Impaired Driving - High Visibilty Enforcement Toolkit
Supreme Court guidance for DWI checkpoints as a result of State of Louisiana vs. Jackson
Zero Tolerance for under 21 (R.S.
- .02 BAC** for persons under 21 years of age
Alcohol under 21 (R.S. 14:93.10)
- It is illegal for persons under the age of 21 to buy, consume, or have an alcoholic beverage in their possession
Provider (R.S. 14:93.13)
- It is illegal for any person, other than a parent, spouse, or legal guardian, to purchase alcohol beverages
on behalf of a person under 21 years of age.
Contributing (R.S. 14:92)
- Intentional, enticing, aiding , soliciting, or permitting, by anyone over the age of 17, of any child under
the age of 17, with no exception for emancipation, marriage, or otherwise, to visit any place where alcohol
is the principle commodity sold or given away.
Child Endangerment (R.S.
- If a child 12 years or younger is a passenger in a vehicle where the driver is charged with DWI the minimum
mandatory sentence for 1st -3rd DWI conviction shall not be suspended and for 4th DWI conviction at least two years
of the sentence shall be imposed without benefit of suspension.
Improper Supervision (R.S.
- A parent or legal custodian of a minor, through criminal negligence, the permitting of a minor to violate
a local or municipal curfew ordinance or enter the premises known by the parent or custodian as a place of underage
Open Container (R.S. 32:300)
- It is illegal for any occupant of a vehicle to possess an alcoholic beverage that is open to consumption
BAC .08 (R.S. 14:98)
- DWI for all drivers over the age of 21 is .08 BAC; under 21 the BAC limit is .02
Driver's License Seizure (R.S.
- A DWI conviction will result in a 365 day suspended driver's license.
Refusal of chemical test and consequences (R.S.
- A driver involved in a fatality does not have the right to refuse a chemical test to determine alcohol
impairment. As a result of any other violation that prohibits operating a vehicle while intoxicated the suspect
may refuse after being told the consequences. Result of consequences: Driver's license will be
seized, issuance of license or permit denied for 6 months, refusal is admissible in a criminal action and a civil
action to suspend, revoke, or cancel his driving privileges.
Ignition Interlock (R.S.
- Requires installation of ignition interlock devices to be eligible for a hardship drivers license upon
arrest of a first offense DWI or for one year ignition interlock upon first offense DWI conviction. Duration
extends for multiple convictions.